Sifted.eu provides a growing number of opportunities for readers and community members who wish to discuss content we publish or debate issues more generally. Our aim is to ensure this community is inclusive and safe, and that the Sifted website is where you will find lively, entertaining and, above all, intelligent discussions.
Readers’ comments are an integral part of Sifted.eu. They help to put our coverage in context and provide different perspectives on our journalism. Sometimes we get story ideas from these discussions, comments proving to be a starting point for another Sifted piece.
We are proud that the Sifted comments are, at their best, insightful, humorous, intellectually challenging and inclusive of diverse perspectives. In order for the comment space to function most effectively, we ask our readers to adhere to the set of guidelines below.
We are grateful to those who take the time to contribute to the Sifted and look forward to reading your comments.
- Keep it relevant: off-topic comments may be removed.
- Keep it respectful: criticise ideas, not people. Avoid offensive language (this includes profanity).
- Keep it neat: avoid excessive use of bold type and capital letters.
- Please do not insult others. Disagreements and criticism are fine, but making your comments personal is not.
- Please be polite. We do not allow comments that are needlessly aggressive or rude.
- We are open to strong opinions, but may remove comments deemed to be offensive or threatening in nature. Please respect other people’s views and beliefs when contributing.
- Don’t write comments that are abusive, or incite hatred. Comments that are discriminatory in nature or make sweeping generalisations about people on the grounds of race, gender, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, disability or age are harmful to our community and not permitted.
- It is not permitted to call other commenters names. This includes accusing someone of being a troll. If you are genuinely concerned that someone is a troll, please email [email protected] and ask for your email to be directed to the comment moderation team.
Sharing the space
- Be concise. Comments posted in two or more parts will be removed.
- Don’t hog the comments space. Those who we deem to be commenting excessively may be warned or banned.
Criticism of the Sifted and our journalists
- Making personal or uncivil attacks on our writers will lead to your comment being removed and may result in a ban from commenting. Criticism should be made in a constructive manner: play the ball, not the person.
- We welcome criticism of our coverage but will not allow comments that are plainly unfounded or misrepresent the Sifted or our journalists.
Trolling and misleading
- Do not troll. Commenters we deem to be deliberately provocative may be banned. This includes inciting conflict and unproductive disputes in our threads, as well as picking fights with others who disagree with you.
- Commenters who spread misinformation, or we consider to be writing comments with the intent to mislead, will be banned.
- Please do not cut and paste your comment into multiple threads. Comments may be removed if they repeat points already made by the same commenter, or if they appear to be part of an organised campaign.
Promoting and impersonating
- We will remove comments that are clearly commercial or otherwise resemble spam. Comments advertising or linking to businesses or products, or aimed primarily at promoting other websites, may be removed in their entirety. This includes linking repeatedly to your own blog posts.
- You must not pretend to be another known Sifted user. You must not impersonate any person or entity or misrepresent any connection with any person or entity.